Josh makes the case for paying kidney donors and infecting people with Covid-19. We both admit to being bad at big law.
Josh Morrison is the founder of three nonprofit organizations: Waitlist Zero, which envisions an America where no one dies because of a shortage of transplantable kidneys; the Rikers Debate Project, which teaches debate to formerly incarcerated students in six states; and 1 Day Sooner, an organization that advocates on behalf of Covid-19 challenge trial volunteers. Josh was a corporate lawyer when he donated his kidney to a stranger in 2011.
Helpful links for this episode:
1. Waitlist Zero http://waitlistzero.org
2. 1 Day Sooner https://1daysooner.org
3. Rikers Debate Project http://rikersdebateproject.org
4. Linh Chi Nguyen, Christopher W Bakerlee, T Greg McKelvey, Sophie M Rose, Alexander J Norman, Nicholas Joseph, David Manheim, Michael R McLaren, Steven Jiang, Conor F Barnes, Megan Kinniment, Derek Foster, Thomas C Darton, Josh Morrison, 1Day Sooner Research Team, Evaluating use cases for human challenge trials in accelerating SARS-CoV-2 vaccine development, Clinical Infectious Diseases, , ciaa935, https://doi.org/10.1093/cid/ciaa935
5. Josh Morrison, It’s time to treat organ donors with the respect they deserve, The Washington Post, https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/in-theory/wp/2016/01/01/its-time-to-treat-organ-donors-with-the-respect-they-deserve/
6. Meagan E. Deming, et. al., "Accelerating Development of SARS-CoV-2 Vaccines — The Role for Controlled Human Infection Models", The New England Journal of Medicine, https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMp2020076#article_references
7. Lynch, Holly Fernandez, et. al, Ethical Payment to Participants in Human Infection Challenge Studies, with a Focus on SARS-CoV-2: Report and Recommendations (August 14, 2020). Available at SSRN: https://ssrn.com/abstract=3674548 or http://dx.doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.3674548
8. Organ Donor Reimbursement Petition, https://docs.google.com/document/d/1OfiOEkgPmPBtDx6k38GckXPDndvbKp1HtJPfdnCB2PU/edit?ts=5cbe977c